Originally, I was going to type about a quote from the movie Rocky that I saw on a friend's blog yesterday that had me thinking about the things life throws at you and how you deal with them. Then I was going to type about my issues with my electric company that I've, hopefully, resolved.
But the day was too nice and it's a new year and a time for new beginnings.
I follow a blog and the author wrote about New Year's Resolutions not too long ago. Her ruminations made me think. Not about what my resolutions were but more about what I was ready to change in my life and the fact that I wanted to change things not because of the passing of the first day of January 2009, but more because it is going on the third year that I've been out of school.
Today was a good day.
It's sad for me to admit this, but it's been a really long time since I've had a really good day like today. I'm working to change that. Because, really, isn't your perspective on life all about your own personal attitude and how you roll with the punches??
So let me tell you about my good day.
It started yesterday. To make a crappy day even worse, I got my electric bill. Now, I live in downtown D.C. My address ends with Washington, DC and my zip code. I live in a little basement apartment that appeared, at first, to be a steal. I pay only a little bit more than I was paying to live in a teeny-tiny efficiency apartment way out in Virginia and to top it off I have my own washer and dryer. So the apartment has it's own little deficiencies... so what? They're not something I simply cannot live with. I have to run a dehumidifier almost constantly when it's even a little bit warm because of the humidity and there's this little black box taking up space in my living room (that's right, I have a living room!) that I'm not allowed to move. Don't know if you know what it is, but this SuckPump (spelling?) is required to be there due to flooding issues. Fine. My apartment doesn't heat well. Ok. I have plenty of blankets and a good pair of sweats so being a little chilly isn't bad (I'm not freezing people, I'll guess my apartment stays in the 60s). Fine. But when I get an electric bill for close to $300 for a month that I was out of town for two weeks in?? THEN I have a problem. I wouldn't have moved if I knew I would be responsible for utilities that ran that high!! Because, all things aside, I don't make enough to pay that much a month.
I'm a big girl. I've faught for what I believe in all my life. I can also turn on the charm when necessary. Last night I couldn't get anyone on the customer service line to tell me what I could do about my bill, if I could have the meter read again or what. I seriously thought I would be stuck with this huge bill that I'm not prepared to pay (it's one thing to be faced with something like that that you've been expecting and saving for and another to have it thrown at you after you spent a portion of your savings on the holidays). I was really stressing it. I called Dave and told him. Now this frustrates me. The man has a three floor townhome in a suburb of DC and he doesn't even pay $200 for his electric. THEN WHY IN THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO PAY $300 FOR A ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT?!?! Whatever. He came over because he could tell I was really stressing this. It was nice for him to just be there, ya know?
Whew. Too much background information- I do that, sorry.
Now for today!
I get on the phone with my electric company. I find out that a specific meter is connected to my account. Duh. My issue is how does the company know that that specific meter is the one for the basement?! The lady didn't understand what I was asking and I gave up. I was transfered to billing. The lady there explained that they can put me on an average plan where they take the average cost that I have rung up for the past 12 months. Well, I've only been there 3 and each month has been significantly higher than the last so that won't help me. Yes, actually it will. They take the average of the last12 months whether I've been there or not. I am then responsible for that amount until they reevaluate it. That grand total comes to about $100 more or less. HOLY CRAP. Big difference. Relief. Sort of. I'm still responsible for this month's bill. "You can dispute that, sweetie." HOW? Then this lovely woman transfered me back to general customer service. SCHEDULE AN ADDITIONAL READING and then call back to ensure that the dispute is registered. The lovely gentleman I was transfered to said it looked like an obvious MISREADING. AGHHHH!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! So I did that. I'm calling back on the 16th. Done. Weight off my shoulders.
It was a pretty chill day at work. I've noticed the department head keeps giving me work, so that's a good thing. She likes me. Always good to have the department head like you and the work you do.
And the final touch on such a good day.
The lady from MiniMed Insulin Pumps called. I have been approved to received a new insulin pump (if you're lost here, please refer to my previous posting). My insurance company is covering 90% of the cost of the pump and all supplies!!! This leaves me responsible for $406.75 Wait, wait. I'm really stressed out about my $300 electric bill but I'm excited for this?? Hold on, I'm not done. If I send them my old pump within 30 days of receipt of theirs, they will credit $500 towards my out-of-pocket costs. HAHAHA!!! That leaves me with a CREDIT of close to $100!!! Done. Just waiting for my doctor to sign the prescription then it gets shipped!
I could dance in a circle right now. I really could.
And, it's decided. I'm going back to school. My LSAT test prep-course starts in April finishing in time for me to take the June exam and start applying to law schools in the Fall for a start date of September 2010.
And tomorrow is Friday!
Love,
Carmen
Thursday, January 8, 2009
A New Year
Posted by Just me... at Thursday, January 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment