Yep, you "heard" me right. DC has an annual Drag Queen High Heel race.
The event is held in the evening on the Tuesday before Halloween usually between 7 and 9pm. It's an unofficial event but well known throughout DC. The actual race is held at 9pm and the Queens race each other for a prize two blocks down 17th street in their outfits and high heels. The streets are blocked off by police and TONS of people come out to watch the spectacle.
It was hilarious! We saw school girls, Victoria's Secret Angels, pregnant polygamists, S&M outfits, beauty queens with drinks instead of states (i.e. Miss Red-headed Slut instead of Miss California, etc.) and tons others. There were even Mary Kay and Avon "girls."
I didn't get to see the actual race because I'm short and this group at the bar we were at had "dibbed" a chair but no one was standing in it. I, being a forward speak-my-mind type person, said something to them. First I was nice and asked if the chair was being used. But once they said yes even tho no one was in it, I was like "how do you say you're using a chair when no one's in it?" "Because my friend's been here since 4pm." "That doesn't mean anything to me. You can't say you're gonna use a chair, especially when there are so many people that want to see the race and will stand in the chair now." So the stupid girl actually unwrapped herself from her boyfriend and stood in the chair. We left. Jerks.
I thoroughly enjoyed a much stronger drink at the bar next door and cheered for the race even tho I could only see wigs running by... hahaha. We stayed and walked around and took pictures with drag queens afterwards. There were so many people there it was crazy. And to top it off, it was FREEZING! It reminded me of Mardi Gras in a very far-off disconnected way...
We ended the night with dinner at CPK. Funny story: there was a table full of girls near us. I think they were from GW just because of their age and the location in Dupont Circle isn't far from campus. One girl says something to her friend about CPK. A different girl was like "Who calls it CPK? I think you're just doing that to be cool." HA! I'd never heard it called CPK until I moved to DC and that's what everyone calls it now, so I'm pretty sure she'll be calling it CPK before she knows it!
Walked my attorney's dog (because I'm dog sitting once again, this time into next month) and then passed out.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
DC's Annual Drag Queen High Heel Race
Posted by Just me... at Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
that race sounds hilarious
Post a Comment