? ??????????????Crystal Drops? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.2 (47 Ratings)??2856 Grabs Today. 29074 Total Grabs.
??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????This Beating Heart? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (26 Ratings)??2700 Grabs Today. 23459 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????1? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Just some random thoughts...

I got off of work wanting to blog. About no particular subject, just to write about whatever came to mind.

I have been dealing with several different issues at work that have left me physically and emotionally drained. Hopefully, the most important one is being dealt with sometime this week. But those things aren’t what I want to blog about. I’ve been talking and complaining about those issues too much for the last two weeks or so. So, do I blog about a topic on tv right now? What about an update on my life? Hmm…

Well, I’ve finally resolved the problems with my landlord. I moved out. And in with my boyfriend. Mother took it much better than I could have expected. Calmly, rationally, and logically. Which is what I should have expected, but didn’t. I’ll keep you updated on how that goes. It cuts my rent in half and makes it easier to get a home-cooked meal. We both want to cook more and it will be a lot easier together than apart. Plus, his mom has us over for dinner at least once a week and she’s an awesome cook! Lucky me! The commute is not an issue. There are several options open to me and I’m already familiar with the route from his place to work. So that’s good. Oh, did I mention that I no longer have to deal with my crazy landlady? That’s lovely in and of itself.

I am currently dog sitting once again. Breaking up the monotony of the normal routine, staying in his lavish place in Dupont Circle has been relaxing. My attorney’s dog, a beautiful, gentle, English Setter (Cedar), loves to cuddle and just be around me. I never realized that having a pet is a relaxing thing. He, the dog, loves unconditionally and asks nothing in return but my attention and a few walks. It’s nice, Cedar loves to cuddle so I am never cold at night. It’s nice for me, too, because my attorney lives literally 4 blocks from my job. It’s lovely to be able to walk to and from work. And the arrangement is beneficial to my attorney because he doesn’t have to pay to have Cedar boarded somewhere and he knows his home is safe while he is traveling. I do sitting anywhere from one night arrangements to 2 weeks. Usually, whenever my attorney travels – work or leisure – I dog-sit. And I get a little cash out of it.

What I simply cannot get over is that I find it very difficult to be warm on the main floor. Heat rises, but I’ve never experienced it like this. The top floor is always stuffy and sometimes unbearably warm. Of course, the top floor is a bedroom, office and full bathroom. – the guest room that my attorney has begun to call “Carmen’s room.” Yep, that’s how often I dog-sit.

And then there are the topics on tv. In the hour or so I’ve been sitting here after work, eating dinner, playing with Cedar and contemplating this blog post, I have watched a show about sexual taboos followed by a show about the Amish teenager’s rumspringa. An interesting tradition - to allow the teenagers to experience the outside world for a time before being baptized into the Amish church – they seem to go crazy with their freedom. They must throw some CRAZY parties!! On a more serious note, I think that the tradition is a good idea. Why restrict a teenager, at a time when they’re questioning everything, from experiencing the world outside Amish culture? It gives them the opportunity to determine for themselves if being Amish and conforming to all the rules and regulations of the religion is what they really and truly want. But there is always a negative aspect of the whole ordeal. The teenagers are not taught about the outside world and have no one to follow for an example on how to deal with certain issues they may encounter, such as drug abuse. To continue to defend the practice, drug abuse is wide spread and a danger to everyone and it is hard to overcome peer pressure in any situation. I can only imagine what it is like as Amish teenager – they’re already so different from mainstream, the peer pressure must be horrific during they’re rumspringa.

I thought it was hard enough growing up. I can’t imagine being Amish. Seriously, would you be able to function without technology? I read an article recently about a class in LA that did an experiment. For one week the class went without technology and kept a journal about their reactions and progress (or lack thereof). It made me think. Could I do it? The answer to that is no, a hard, definite no. I am checking my email constantly on my blackberry and on my computer. I use my iPod throughout the day and to and from work. I watch tv when I get up in the morning and when I get home from work. I listen to the radio constantly. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, but I don’t know that I would want to put my mind to doing that.

And NCIS has come on. Good show.

~ Carmen

0 comments: