You know, I've never really thought about how strange a place "work" really is. One is expected to leave all thoughts and feelings that could possible disrupt the "working environment" home. But how are you really supposed to do that? And then you have the comfort level of yourself and everyone you interact with. One little statement, seemingly harmless at the time, may have serious repercussions.
This was brought home in a very personal way a little over a week ago. I won't get into the situation, but it's made me re-think the workplace. With so many people and so many different personalities, things are bound to happen. I just hadn't imagined it was on quite this scale! It suprised me even though I've read about it and had become personally acquainted with the type of situation I dealt with last week several times while I was in high school. What I thought was that, since we are all adults, these kinds of things would be understood and not happen on such a scale.
But I was wrong. On so many different levels.
And now I realize it's not just people like me that are victims (though I find that too strong of a word) of this type of issue, but that it happens between people who are not in positions of power. I don't understand this. My situation could be justified as a slip of the tongue (even though there have been past sexual references that have made me uncomfortable) but this most recent situation is one concocted out of malice, pure malice (with possibly some obsessiveness and or craziness thrown in).
I don't understand this.
More later when I have had time to formulate my thoughts.
I must also update on my recent visit to Albuquerque.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Work
Posted by Just me... at Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment