? ??????????????Crystal Drops? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.2 (47 Ratings)??2856 Grabs Today. 29074 Total Grabs.
??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????This Beating Heart? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (26 Ratings)??2700 Grabs Today. 23459 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ????1? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Thursday, January 25, 2007

GW and Diversity

So in a recent article in the Hatchet, GW admits to having low numbers of minorities in attendance when compared to 5 other universities GW feels are members of it's "basket."

The article is about diversity. Does diversity equal skin color?? In the past it has, but currently, it does not. Many rising students are attempting to do away with or change affirmative action in the hopes that the focus on skin color is done away with. The fact that GW continues to count skin color as its requirement for diversity saddens me. Why not do as one of the people interviewed in the article suggests: take diversity as a mixing of ideas, not color? Ultimately, that would be the best solution rather than comparing numbers of minorities to other universities. Concentrate on the experience, on what each student is bringing to the university rather than the color of their skin.

Skin color does not necessarily equal race, either, much less make an institution diverse. I am Hispanic. But my skin color is white. I do not look like a stereotypical hispanic and in that I am very passionate in the fact that one cannot determine the background of another person simply by looking at them. I cannot say that I identify more with my caucasian heritage or my Hispanic heritage, but being biracial, I have always identified myself as Hispanic.

0 comments: